Saturday, February 20, 2010

Crockpot Pasta Sauce (Onion and Garlic Free)

Alton Brown saved my life.

When I developed an intolerance to onions and garlic, I thought I'd never be able to eat Italian foods again. But thanks to Brown's educational and entertaining show, "Good Eats," I learned all about aromatics, and soon developed this recipe for a spicy, sweet pasta sauce that uses grated carrots and green peppers instead.

Of course, if I were a real foodie, I guess I would use fresh tomatoes and herbs, but this is quick and easy, and can be cooked in a crockpot all day.


Ingredients

1 pound carrots, grated
2 green peppers, finely chopped
56 ounces crushed tomatoes (2-28 oz cans)
29 ounces tomato puree (1-29 oz can)
1 tbsp oregano
2 tsp basil
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp cayenne pepper sauce

Directions

Place all ingredients in a crockpot. Cook on high for five hours, or low for 8-10.

If sauce is too chunky for your taste, puree it in a blender (after it cools!)

Nutrition Facts: Makes 24 half cup servings. Serving Size 129.9g, Calories 51, Total Fat 0.2g, Saturated Fat 0.1g, Trans Fat 0.0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 201mg, Total Carbohydrates 10.9g, Dietary Fiber 3.6g, Sugars 6.5g, Protein 2.5g, Vitamin A 83%, Vitamin C 30%, Calcium 5%, Iron 10%

No comments:

Post a Comment